Rabu, 08 Agustus 2012

My Crib Part 2 - Sharing Bathroom

Sharing Bathroom

After I have started the renovation of my house only to find out that there are a lot of nitty gritty matters that I have to look into. The story is like this - I can save a lot of hassle and time if I would just hire a contractor to take care of everything but of course this would cost lots more. Instead, I decide to save some big bucks by getting someone who would just supply the labour and I do the rest ie. buying tiles, wc units, basins, taps, shower units & lights.

And thus by saving some big bucks, I embark on a journey where every weekend instead of shopping for clothes, I went shopping for bathroom accessories! How fun...not. I didn't know that I was such a noob when it comes to home matters.

But of course I was also very lucky to have the right contacts to start with.

 WC unit from Trendline

Firstly, I had to shop for some wc units, 3 units to be exact. After 2-3 weeks, I managed to buy the ones I needed. I didn't know that looking for wc units does involve some skills and knowledge. To know if it's the right WC unit, you need to know what are your requirements. You can either go for a swirling flush or the wash down type. And then, you'll need to sit on every display unit to see which one fits your bottom the best! I did sat on every unit and I finally found my perfect wc unit.

Here comes the important part. If you like a certain design, it doesn't mean that you can buy it because you still have to know the measurement of the S-Trap of your toilet.


This picture illustrates how you can measure the size of the S-Trap. It's measured by the distance of the CENTRE of the discharge outlet on the floor from the wall. Most of the time, you would need to dismantle the wc unit to measure it correctly but I was lucky because my wc unit is an old design one where you can clearly see the S-Trap and thus I was able to take a a mseasurement even before the worker remove the unit. The distance is what is needed when you buy a wc unit because many times, the shop staff will ask you what's the measurement and they are talking about the S-Trap!

It's just disappointing to know that if you like a certain WC unit but the measurement was too big/small for your existing bathroom. Sigh... So, to avoid disappointment, get the measurement first and choose the design based on the available measurements. Always start with asking for a 50% discount. I'm serious because most of the places I went to, they offer a 50% discount!

 Grohe Faucets & Shower Unit

After I've sorted out my WC unit and wash basin, I had to buy some faucets and shower units. For this, I chose Grohe because I trust the quality of this brand. Many times when I stay at a 5 star hotel, I noticed that they all use Grohe for their bathroom shower units and faucets. I was also told that there are 2 types of Grohe, one made in Germany and the other made in Thailand. The Thailand made ones will be cheaper than the ones made in Germany. The difference of the quality lies in the smoothness of the faucet mechanism. For me, I used a mixture of Grohe made in Germany & Thailand due to the design & price. The total price for the shower unit , mixer & the wash basin tap costs RM3k+. I'm lucky to get a good discount from Trendline. A normal discount that one can get from these shops are around 35%.

 
 Day 2 of tiling progress

As for tiles, I got mine all from MML. You might call me a brand conscious person buying all these Grohe and MML stuffs for my toilet but I believe in the brand and its quality. Of course the main deciding factor is also the price. Actually if you know how to shop around and when to shop, you'll be surprised how much money you can save even by purchasing these branded bathroom accessories. The tiles I bought were during their warehouse sales and it was on 50% discount! Straightaway, I bought these tiles for all my 3 toilets. On normal days, you can only get a 10% discount from MML. Total price for tiles of 3 bathrooms is RM3.5k after 50% discount.

 Day 3 of tiling in progress

I really like the look of these 1x2ft ceramic tiles. It certainly made the toilet looked more modern and stylish. Can't wait to see the finished bathroom together with the other bathroom accessories!

Another type of bathroom accessories needed would be the marble slabs for the soap/bottles and as well as the mirror shelf. The reason why I use a marble instead of the usual stainless steel/chromed racks is due to its durability and easy maintenance.


As you can see, there are many colours and types of marbles to choose from. These marble can match the colour of the tiles, easy to clean and most importantly, they don't rust. Adding marbles to the bathroom will certainly bring out a luxurious feeling, almost like having a 5 star hotel toilet!


These marble slabs can be customised in terms of width, length and thickness. I had the shampoo shelf marble measuring 10" for RM 30 each, the mirror shelf 6" X 24" X 12mm at RM 80 each. This is for the sharing bathroom and as for the masterbedroom, I had the same items but in white marble.

Can't wait to see the finished bathroom when I come back from Langkawi in a few days!


For Bathroom faucets, showers and accessories:
Trendline Sdn Bhd
No. 192 Jalan Changkat Thambi Dollah
51100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603-2148 6884/ 2145 6884

For marble, stones & tiles:
S.R. Marble Sdn Bhd
Lot 37635, Jalan 6/37A,
SPK Industrial Estate, Taman Maluri, Kepong
52100 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603-6274 0000
Or Contact David Teh @ +6012-5477388

1 komentar:

  1. If you're looking for a functional but stylish bathroom furniture solution then you will be pleased to know that a WC Unit can solve many of your design dilemmas. Previously most people were forced to hide their WC unit behind walls or in toilets, this meant the unit was hidden from view and potentially ruined the look of the room. But thanks to modern bathroom furniture trends such as the inverted T U shape, the days of the ugly cistern have long since come and gone. Inverted U's are becoming quite a popular choice for bathrooms these days. These units not only look great but they save space by taking up less space than traditional wall-mounted WC's. Get More Informtion Navigate here

    BalasHapus